Weathering steel, also known as COR-TEN steel, is a popular material to use as garden planters for many reasons. Many people find it aesthetically pleasing, it’s durable, and it adds an earthy industrial look to any environment it’s added to.
Here are 9 examples of built-in weathered steel garden planters bringing style, texture, and color to backyards and patios.
1. The use of succulents and other desert plants in these weathered steel planters create a low maintenance garden that looks good all year round.
Designed by D-CRAIN
2. Huge planters fill the backyard patio of this family home and make dinner parties feel like they’re taking place in the well-groomed great outdoors.
See more photos of the home, here. Designed by Bates Masi Architects. Photography by Michael Moran.
3. The rows of succulents and large rocks within these weathered steel planters help make the front of this desert house welcoming and increase the home’s curb appeal.
See more photos of the home, here. Designed by Kendle Design Collaborative. Photography by Winquist Photography.
4. Short built-in weathered steel planters around the perimeter of this patio add color and texture to the space with the grassy plants keeping things soft and welcoming.
Designed by KUBE architecture. Photography by Greg Powers.
5. The color of the weathered steel of this oversized planter matches that of the wood doors on the exterior of this home.
Designed by Ben Miller Design. Photography by Mark Peters.
6. The round steel planters inside the even larger concrete planters create depth and add texture to the gardens on this outdoor patio.
Mosler Lofts by Kenneth Philp Landscape Architects. Designed and built in collaboration with Mithun Architects and the Schuster Group. Photography by Steve Young.
7. These planters made from curved sheets of weathered steel, add dimension and create extra space for more plants without being boxy.
Designed by Olivine Land.
8. This planter / bench combination made from wood and weathered steel lets someone sit and enjoy the garden.
Designed by Articulated Design Landscape Architecture.
9. This weathered steel planter spirals out of the ground to add height and an artistic touch to the garden.