Interior design firm Bazik Inc, together with Takaki Takizawa, have designed this room at Ogawaya Ryokan, a hotel nestled in the Gero Onsen region of Japan.
For the design of the room, they included several Japanese cultural elements.
1. The flooring in the room is a contemporary version of a Tatami Mat.
2. As many Japanese people sleep on a Tatami mat on the floor, the designers have lowered the bed, giving guests a more authentic sleeping experience.
3. Above the bed, there is a subtle piece of artwork, depicting a blossoming tree, which are common throughout Japan.
4. The room comes with tea making facilities, allowing you to have your own Japanese tea ceremony.
5. They have used a Shoji screen door, made from translucent paper over a wooden frame, to hide the bathroom.
6. In the bathroom, they’ve taken inspiration from the nearby hot springs, and included a Furo (or Ofuro), a deep Japanese soaking tub.
7. Even the design of the water spout is similar to the bamboo fountains found in Japanese gardens.